Saturday, October 31, 2009

THE WEIGHT OF THE MATTER

I thought today I might discuss some weighty matters – those things of significant gravity that affect us as cyclists. I could address the trial of Dr. Christopher Thompson in Los Angeles as the case has now gone to the jury. I could review a recent film by StreetFilms in New York as they present the varied options for bike paths and sharing the road.

Instead, I’m choosing to report on a true matter of weight or at least how to measure it. In recent days, my friend Jim at Cycling Experiences got me to thinking along the lines of improving my ability to monitor my ongoing physical condition. In corresponding with Jim on the topic, I reported the dissatisfaction I have with the current weight scales in the Zekester’s home. You can step on the scales 3 times under the same exact conditions and get 3 different measurements.

In response to my whining, Jim made an offer to transfer his Tanita BC 554 from the flatlands of North Carolina to the mountains of Western North Carolina. After all, Jim had just ordered the Tanita BC 1000! (Dang, aren’t these weighty discussions stimulating!) So, feeling that I must “put up or shut up” as he had offered me a fine solution to my unimportant crisis of weight management, I eagerly agreed to the transfer at a very reasonable expense. His efforts at making the transfer are well documented on his site (see link above).

I felt it important to close the loop and report the very timely arrival of the Tanita BC 554 at its new home. I received a phone call from my office late on Friday saying “Santa”, otherwise known in the Yount household as the UPS Dude had arrived in his brown sleigh and dropped off a package for me. I jumped, well, slowly dismounted my John Deere Yard tractor and moseyed on over (literary phrase intended to impart the image of a man in no particular hurry) to my office and grabbed my package.

I let it sit overnight, resting in it’s box, knowing that the optimal time to open it would be with my better half whilst having that first cup of coffee in the morning. The moment arrived. My spouse looked at me like “what have you spent our money on now?” but I pushed through knowing that she too would soon be immersed in the joy of knowing her BMR. In retrospect, I may have over-thought that one…

At any rate, the Tanita BC 554 is now fully functional and programmed. It awaits only tomorrow’s weigh-in. I eagerly look forward to more data to track. In fact, Saturday may be spent incorporating new data analysis computations into my spreadsheet. I won’t ride today – you see IT IS RAINING AGAIN!

I’m excited, my “best half” is excited, heck – the cats are excited! In fact, I’m so excited (note reference to Pointer Sisters’ song…), I had some pictures taken with my new Tanita BC 554!

Tanita01

Tanita03

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Tanita02

(Interested reader ALERT!---- There will be no public reporting of any data measured tomorrow per household order of Zeke’s ‘best half!”)

Until later,

- Zeke

8 comments:

Jim Artis said...

G'day Mr. Cecil,

What a surprising article. You are all decked out, scale in hand. You look like a happy pumpkin. You are going to wait until when to weigh the first time? I think you will find the 554 functional as a tool to aid in your cycling and lifestyle. Thanks to the photographer and your kind post. I also put up a short message. Enjoy your day and stay dry. --jim

Unknown said...

Hi,

I'll weigh in the morning upon arising before the first pot of coffee. I only weigh on the first day of each month although I may now be tempted to do so more often. :) We did stay dry unless you count moisture from flinging paint. We're repainting my mother's house to get it ready for resale. I just LUV Navaho White! It was my Dad's numero uno for covering walls!

- Zeke

Jim Artis said...

...then your batteries will last you a lifetime. My system recored and transferred all data properly today. Painting in the rain??? Enjoy...

Unknown said...

Hi,

Well, it was raining and we were painting but the two were mutually exclusive. :) We're repainting the interior of the house.

We've had pretty much rain all day today. We were contemplating a ride past the barriers on I-40 tomorrow down to slide site but the State Patrol got on the TV last night and said they were going to start issuing tickets for trespassing to anyone that violates the barriers. Apparently, there have been truckers going around the barriers and easing their way up the gorge rather than followin I-81 to I-26 and then south to I-40. With all this rain, the loose rock at the top is still falling. We thought getting to ride on a vacant interstate would be fun. Guess not...

- Zeke

Jim Artis said...

Hey Zeke,

Were you an actor and/or ham in elementary school? --jim

Unknown said...

Well, my acting career is limited to having a small part in our senior play in high school. I was one of 12 dead bodies at the end of the play. It was a comedy.

I think that perhaps the term "ham" is more fitting in describing my general interaction with the world. Fortunately,I had extrovert parents, both of whom had a talent for seeing humor in situations. My dad was always pulling something on his co-workers and friends/family. We buried my dad on April Fool's Day and took some solace in the irony of that fact. My mom was a storyteller toward the end of her career and into her retirement along with being a twice published author.

Personally, I see myself as shy and retiring - demure to a fault. I wonder what Bro Dave on the west coast would say... :)

- Zeke

Jim Artis said...

Thanks Zeke,

I can see you as an active 8-12 year old, who knew how to get attention. Thanks for sharing. I really like your pics in this article. --jim

Unknown said...

Thanks! The credit for the pics must go to the fine finger behind the lenses. It is attached to my wife, Kathy!

- Zeke