Sunday, January 16, 2011

WAITING OUT THE WHITE STUFF…

This past week has been mostly characterized by putting on and taking off winter boots, shoveling snow for exercise, and wearing sunglasses inside to reduce glare! While the main roads to and from town and the interstates have been cleared nicely, the Navigator and I continue to rely upon 4 wheel drive to get up to and down from our home…

Snow lingers 1 week later

(Lingering snow from last week’s storm…)

Yesterday’s temperatures rose into the upper 40’s providing for some nice snow melt and cleared some of the southern facing slopes. The Navigator and I have lots of glass to the east and southeast of our home and that provides us with nice solar gain. With all of the snow remaining on our decks and surrounding areas, we found ourselves donning sunglasses in order to sit and enjoy our morning coffee yesterday.

We were amazed at the amount of air traffic that we could track while enjoying our coffee. The jets were leaving some serious contrails as they crossed the “friendly skies” viewable from our couch. We quit counting after noting 30 jets in the space of 20 minutes or so. For some reason, most of the flights at that time of day yesterday seemed to be heading north and northeast with only one or two headed east. We noted only one flight heading south.

With the main roads now cleared for traffic, we met our close friends mid-afternoon and headed to Asheville for a birthday celebration that was delayed last week due to the snow storm. We enjoyed “True Grit” along with an auditorium full of people. It will be interesting to see if “True Grit” maintains its place among the box office leaders this weekend. In true movie critic fashion, we all gave the remake of “True Grit” a BIG thumb’s up! Jeff Bridges was his usual exceptional self with Matt Damon following suit in his “tongue disabled” role. The surprise of the movie though was the young lady playing “Mattie.” She was outstanding. I wouldn’t be surprised to see some Golden Globe awards tonight for these folk and some Academy Award nominations in the near future. (Hey, see where my mind goes when I’m not riding and writing about riding…)

In some actual cycling news:

NASA Astronaut Timothy Kopra was injured in a cycling accident yesterday. Kopra has been in training for the oft delayed November launch of the space shuttle. With Mark Kelly’s absence due to being at the side of his wife, Rep. Gabby Giffords, Kopra is the second astronaut in the last week to be derailed from the training program for the next shuttle launch. Details of what happened in the cycling accident were sketchy as I write this note. I found no explanation of what happened other than NASA indications his injuries were not life-threatening…

SPOILER ALERT FOR CANCER CLASSIC: HTC-Columbia got off to a big start in Australia yesterday taking the women’s overall win in the Cancer Council Classic leading up to the start of the Santo’s Tour Down Under. Chloe Hosking, HTC’s Australian rider, took the victory in her home country. HTC-Columbia’s men’s team took 1st and 2nd place in the men’s event. Sprinters Matt Goss and Mark Renshaw avoided a late race crash that slowed down teammate Mark Cavendish leading to their top 2 finish…

BikingInLA’s Ted Rogers witnesses cyclist “brush back”, alerts law enforcement, and provides first aid… No, it wasn’t a baseball “brush back” pitch that drew Rogers’s attention to a downed cyclist. While riding in L.A., Rogers observed a cyclist knocked down by a passing truck…

Secretary of Transportation Ray LaHood says to cyclists, “…participate in the process!”  Following on-going releases of reports that tout the beneficial aspects of cycling on both the economy and health issues, LaHood encouraged advocates to get involved and stay involved in shepherding important cycling infrastructures through the approval processes. (Thanks to BikingInLA for the link…)

Putting things in perspective: When I get to feeling that I’m “whining too much” about the winter weather here, it helps me to check in with Jill “Up In Alaska” Homer. Having read of her riding exploits in the considerably, dare I say, tougher weather extremes of Alaska, I find myself less likely to attribute my lack of riding to the weather conditions and more to my own unwillingness to get out and about on 2 wheels. Needing a Jill “fix” today, I discovered that she no longer lives in Alaska and has now moved to the much more temperate climate of Missoula, Montana… (yes, that was tongue in cheek…) I also discovered that she is currently forced to endure the terrible weather conditions of …. Hawaii! Maybe, just maybe, I really am in a more hostile weather environment than her current circumstances might suggest. You can find Jill’s newest blog at JillOutside. Here’s a brief sample of her work…

Regarding riding in –10 degree weather…

”But the world was drenched in glistening white light and enveloped by a perfect bluebird sky. To the car-bound commuters who watched us pedal through our own billowing vapor clouds probably saw our bicycle riding as excessive — excessive because it was too cold outside, and there were parties to plan, real miles to travel and hours to count.” – Jill Homer

 

So, 3 cups of coffee down, one blueberry bagel topped with whipped Philadelphia Cream Cheese consumed, and a need to move brings on this thought… I think it is time to shove some more snow!

Until later,

- Zeke

10 comments:

Michele said...

are you ready to trade in your bike and Harley for a sled and a pair of dogs? At least it's warm there. Woke up to a high of -4 for the day. But the sun is shining. Getting a bit itchy to get out my bike, but think it'll have to wait till April or May. sigh.......... And Jims making me mighty envious with all the house work and cooking. Mercy that invite is tempting. Hope you're out and about soon. Enjoy the snow.

Unknown said...

Guess I'll hang on to both the Harely and Fuji. The Harley cranked over nicely yesterday and I'm not too far away from riding it again when I have to travel out of town for work issues. I've been wondering where you are located... Obviously, with temps at -4 degrees for your high, you're in a more northern climate than I am! :)

Jim has certainly been doing major work at his house. The party looks to be a fun thing in the making. We'll be virtual guests ourselves.

Thanks for your comment! I always enjoy hearing from you.

- Zeke

Michele said...

I am located in Canada. Just a bridge ride across from Michigan (where I spent my first 24 years). I moved to Ontario 22 years ago when I met the man of my dreams. We live on 50 acres of fairly flat land, which is why I dig your hill climbing stories so much. And with the -4 (which apparently is a heat wave vs Marquette Michigans -22 yesterday) and the foot of snow on the ground my number of miles on Fayth is the same as the one on your Fuji. At least you should be thrilled to know you will be the first one on yours. Fayth won't come out of the garage until at least late April or early May.

I told Jim to take lots of pics. Am going to send him a treat for his sweet tooth. I would tell you what it is, but dont' want him peeking :)Just need to wait to get the colors of the teams playing. It will be so much fun seeing the activities come together.

Keep up the great writing. You do have a wonderful knack at it. I really enjoy all the stories. And the best of wishes for you and Mrs. Navigator in this New Year.

Take care....Michele

Unknown said...

Good to know! With 50 acres, youd could have your own magnificent single track course! I really do not envy the -4 temps. Do you also have high humidity with those temperatures? I've found that makes the cold feel even colder with high humidity.

I'll look forward to hearing what the "treat" is. It is hard for me to imagine the time, energy, and money he must have put into the house getting ready for this party.

Thanks for your kind comments on my writing. I do enjoy it and was fortunate to have parents, who nurtured the reading and writing side of our development as children. My mother was a published author with two books of fiction published. I learned a lot from her both from her own writing but also from her teaching creative writing for a number of years locally.

Stay warm!

- Zeke

michele said...

The humidity is pretty high all the time. We don't notice it as much when it is at the negative numbers. On Sunday (during the -4 temps), a friend took a pan of water outside and thru it in the air. It was instantly gone as it was so dry. Yes, this is what we do for entertainment in Canada during the winter months. However, friend Connie hasn't gotten her snowshoes out yet this year. So maybe it's not really winter yet after all. :) The summer months can be torture with the high humidity. That's a whole different story.

"Treat" will be made tomorrow and mailed on Friday. People have very strange reactions to it. At least until they try it. Jim's house looks beautiful. Quite an inspiration really. I'm seeing some new colors appearing on our walls here :) At least in my mind. Hubby isn't quite as enthusiastic.

I would love to read your moms work. If you'll share her name so I know I have the right author, I would appreciate that. My mom didn't really concentrate on what we wrote, but she made sure we liked to read. It's something both my brother and I still make a habit of.

Take care...and enjoy the game.
Michele

Unknown said...

That's pretty remarkable about the moisture and low humidity. It reminds me of a time I rode through a rain storm going into Las Vegas and didn't get wet... We were on a motorcycle trip and you could see the rain falling but it was evaporating as we got to it. :)

Does J. know that a treat is coming or will it be a total surprise?

My mother's name is Ila Jean Yount and she had two books published. The first was Patchwork and the second was Sunshine and Shadows. They are both fiction with the first being based upon stories told by my great-grandmother about our family settling this area of the country. My mother captured the stories from the oral tradition of story telling and committed them to paper ending up in two books. The first one was a National Book Club of the month selection and did quite well. The second didn't get the same level of support from the publisher so it did less well but was still a regional best seller. I have the remaining "new" copies of both books. We've kept them in storage since my mother's death.

- Zeke

michele said...

Jim knows there is a treat on the way. And that the treat is color related to the teams playing. Since I am not a fan I asked for help with this. Would love to send a bottle of homemade wine but apparently there are rules against this at the post office :)

Am very much interested in reading your mothers stories. Stories of the pioneers and the Depression have always been of interest to me. Am especially looking forward to reading Patchwork. My first passion is quilting and artist fabric manipulation. In other words I just plain love fabric and torturing it into something of interest.

Thank you for the info about your mothers books. You should think about writing your own.

*Michele

Unknown said...

I'll look forward to finding out what the treat is. :)

If you can't find the books, just let me know and I'll make sure you get them. We'll do that in another forum.

Mom was a quilter as was my grandmother. I have one that my mother made on a quilt rack at the bottom of our bed. The stories behind the quilt designs were always very interesting.

Later,

- Zeke

michele said...

Found the books. Managed to get both. Am very excited and am looking forward to receiving them. There was even a signed copy offered. Did you know that her books are both scored 4 and 5 stars on their reviews? The highest you can receive is a 5. Cherish the quilt and the memories. Jim even has a quilt with a story. Ah...who would have thought...men and their quilts :) Now there is a story for a book. I'm sorry I'm distracting you from your cycling.

Take care....Michele

Unknown said...

I'm glad you found them and hope you enjoy them. Let me know when you finish. I'll tell you which stories are true and which are fiction. :)

I wish you were distracting me from cycling... There isn't any cycling to distract me from at the moment!

Take care,

- Zeke