Friday, June 22, 2012

I’VE LOST IT… HAVE YOU SEEN IT?

As I headed home last night from our weekly “new and newly returning” riders group ride, it dawned on me that I’ve lost it. I’m not exactly sure when or where I lost it but, I’m pretty sure it is gone. Small things began to come together that helped me realize it was lost. I mean I’ve had this nagging “just below the surface” irritating pull on my conscious thought for sometime. I just couldn’t name it. I may have named it last night…

I’ve been pretty sure that something was amiss this year. I suppose if I had looked a little harder or paid more attention, I would have come to this realization it was missing earlier.

Despite having actually done more, although clearly not enough, to stay in pedaling condition over last winter, my spring start was slow in building mileage. My late spring, first day of summer efforts have seemingly been harder on me than the earlier days of 2012 and I’m actually riding less and enjoying it less.

Some of the symptoms of it being lost that I’ve noted are as follows:

  • The graph of my extensively maintained data set of rides looks like a downhill run from the Rockies to Death Valley and there is no apparent sign of an upswing…
  • I went to put on my favorite pair of pants this week - and couldn’t…
  • I wore my Fat Cyclist jersey last night and it fit like a glove – Unfortunately, I have the “club cut” jersey…
  • While wearing said jersey last night, someone congratulated me on my courage in announcing my condition to the world…
  • I’ve been talking about riding more than I’ve been actually riding this year…
  • I find myself being the “sweep” at the weekly rides but I started mid-pack of the group…
  • I spotted some grease on my Salsa Fargo frame whilst sitting on my deck in a chair recently AND I didn’t bother to get up and clean it.
  • I’ll do it later has become my motto…

I’m pretty sure that I’m not the first one to have lost it and probably won’t be the last one. Someone out there knows what it looks like and will recognize it when they see it. If you see it, please take note of the following classified ad that will be running in my local paper soon. Please reply as appropriate.

LOST: One set of Biking Mojo. Not sure where loss occurred. Could be on any road in Haywood County. Appears as glee and happiness and likely to be dressed in bright colors. If found, please wrap carefully and return to Gr8SmokiesZeke. REWARD: Your own personal knowledge that you returned a lifetime of happiness to someone.

 

In other news:

BicycleHaywoodNC, our local cycling advocacy group, had a very successful 1st Annual Grill Fest this past Tuesday evening. Given the great weather, we had our largest group yet of members and guests in attendance including a local candidate for the N.C. Legislature, who pledged his support of biking/ped activities, a member of our Board of County Commissioners, who was instrumental in the adoption of our Comprehensive Haywood County Bike Plan, and our local representative to the N.C. Department of Transportation, Bicycle Committee. We had numerous visitors, who came out to discover our advocacy council and added two new members as a result. We garnered an invitation to participate in the Town of Clyde 4th of July Parade. Oh yeah, we ate pretty well too!

Our Thursday night rides continue to grow and our “beginners” aren’t really beginners any longer, which has resulted in the rides becoming longer in length and  including harder climbs. It is very gratifying to see these new and newly returning individuals finding their Biking Mojo!

My friend and colleague, The Velo Hobo, continues his rehab from recent knee surgery. Here’s hoping he is up and on two wheels in the near future!

The inexcusable death of cyclists in sunny Southern California continues unabated as the “epidemic” of Hit and Run cases continues this summer. For more information, read pretty much any posting of BikingInLA. Ted does an outstanding job of keeping this issue in front of the “powers that be” and in following up on the outcomes, when known, in Court.

Local riders from the Eastern Band of the Cherokee Nation are scheduled to conclude the 4th Annual “Remember the Removal” Ride today (June 22nd). They have been on the road since June 3rd when they left nearby Qualla Boundary headed for Tahlequah, Oklahoma, capital of the Cherokee Nation. Congratulations to each and every one of them on what I’m sure is a very spiritual experience!

Hey, it is not too late to register for the 3rd Annual Blue Ridge Breakaway being held on August 17th and 18th this year! Registration was running about 35% ahead of last year at this same lead-up time. Jersey’s can now be ordered on-line! Spend the evening of the 17th with Russ Roca and Laura Crawford of  The Path Less Pedaled  as they entertain riders and their family members with tales of America and New Zealand by bike!

‘Nuff said…

Get out there and enjoy the weekend. Be safe! If anyone sees my Biking Mojo, please be sure to send it home. I miss it!

Until later,

- Zeke

8 comments:

The Velo Hobo said...

Well I can say you didn’t leave it with me. I feel the same. This knee thing has left me way way out of shape. My cardio is a distant memory and for the life of me I can’t remember which hand shifts the cassette and which shifts the chain rings. The closest thing to a bike ride I’ve done lately is a recumbent trainer at the physical therapists office. I hope to be back on a real bike in time to do the Blue Ridge Breakaway. Jack

Unknown said...

I'm tempted to say "if you'll show me yours, I'll show you mine" but that might get taken the wrong way so I'll simply say "I'll keep an eye out for yours if you'll do the same for me!" I'm glad to hear that your rehab has you to the point of pedaling something! I hope it continues to go well and that you are stoked for the Blue Ridge Breakaway!

Anonymous said...

Hey Cecil,
Whenever I run out of mojo, I have discovered that I can buy it by the bar at Ingles! Mojo Bars by Cliff Bars can really hit the spot when you need that extra motivation/nuture while on the bike:) All kidding aside, finding that biking mojo can be hard at times. For me lost biking mojo can occur due to seasonal changes, such as extreme heat or cold, or just dealing with overwhelming demands from other parts of life. The best way for me to recapture my mojo is to just get out and ride, and to do it only for the purpose of riding. It always seems that no matter how hard it is to start a ride, I generally feel better about everything once I have just gotten out and, to borrow a phrase from Nike, Just Do It. Good luck with your search!

David Tate

Unknown said...

Ah! So that's the problem! I've been shopping at Bi-Lo's! :) My lost conditioning is definitely due to riding too infrequently and enjoying it less when I do ride. Your are correct that the solution is to ride more and I intend to do just that. I'm going to talk less about riding and do more actual riding... Thus, the Tuesday night Pop-up ride this week!

Thanks for reading and sharing!

Zeke

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the kind words, my friend. When I've been where you are, it's usually been a case of over training. I've solved the problem by staying off my bike until I actually want to ride — which usually doesn't take too long.

Unknown said...

Hi, I wish over training was my issue! I've gotten caught up in talking the talk but not walking the walk lately! I'm reprioritizing my routine to get in more rides now. I'm already getting that sense of fun back! Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts! It is much appreciated!

EricW said...

Hmmm - crosstraining is in order!

In this order try:

Yoga - not serious hard cardio stuff, the normal easy flow kind

Beer - a little beer while watching others ride will encourage you to ride.

Ride your errands - ride to the store to get the beer - not the nearest store the good store across town.

Repeat until ready to ride w/the posse. Might be awhile. I'm still riding alone on some of my best rides...

Eric W

Unknown said...

Hey! Good ideas all of them. I had not considered Yoga. New Belgium brewing is coming to Asheville, NC in the near future. That will be about 30 miles away. should be a good ride to get THAT beer!

Thanks for taking the time to comment! It is appreciated!