Thursday, February 14, 2013

My Muse Moves On To Greener Pastures…

 

Younts Great Smoky Mountains Zeke

Yount’s Great Smoky Mountains Zeke

July 31, 1999 – February 14, 2013

The Navigator and I lost Zeke today. It seems like yesterday when he was 8 weeks old and we were bringing him home for the first time. Riding up I-40 sitting in Kathy’s lap – a little bundle of brown fur and puppy breath. His lifespan would see him grow into a handsome representative of his breed and he would teach me lessons about instinct, unbridled energies, and patience that I would not have learned had he not been in my life. He was the consummate camper – never barking but always greeting fellow campers with a wagging tail. He met the world with mouth wide open and ready for whatever was to come his way next. His life cycle would also see the inevitable physical deterioration that reduced our wild abandoned runs to walks of short duration that ended with moisture escaping from my eyes as I remembered what was and knew only to well what was to come.  Despite the failings of his rear legs that would no longer carry him in a straight line, Zeke was alert to the end as he lay his head in our laps for some final strokes of love as our Veterinarian gently ushered him on to his next journey.

RIP MY FRIEND…

7 comments:

Jack said...

My deepest condolences friend.

Anonymous said...

My deepest simpathy Cecil, I lost one Thanksgiving.However yesterday our neighbor showed her puppies,
they are a mirrow image of Benji.
Tony S.

Unknown said...

Thank you Jack and Tony. Kathy and I appreciate your kind words. Tony: It's nice to know that Benji lives on through her pups!

bikinginla said...

Aw man, I'm sorry to hear that. Fourteen years is a good long time to have your best friend at your side. I'm glad you had him for so long, and sorry he won't be wagging that tail for you anymore.

Unknown said...

Thank you! Yes,Zeke was with us a long time for a big dog. At 9 human years, I come up with the equivalent of 127.5 years old. We were lucky that he enjoyed good health, for the most part, until near the end.

Michele said...

Oh mercy, this is such a sweet story and such a mirror of what is happening with our dear companion. We are so blessed to have these friends. Even tho it seems like a long time, once we travel back to the romps of yesterday and of puppyhood, in the end it was not long enough. Hugs to you friend.

Unknown said...

Thank you kindly! It has been near 4 months now since his passing and I still miss him on a daily basis. On a brighter note, our remaining Lab Orla has gotten more attention and really attached herself to me when I'm in the garden and doing yard work. She loves riding in my small dump cart and "supervising" my activities... :)