Monday, February 8, 2010

BLINDING LIGHT ILLUMINATES AREA

Local National Weather Service forecasters and other weather buffs are reporting that the blinding light first noted around 10:00 a.m. on February 8, 2010 in the Waynesville, NC general area is a phenomenon known as SUNLIGHT. They further report that SUNLIGHT once occurred in this region on a regular basis. In an apparently related event, scores of local residents were seen standing with their backs against local buildings and their faces raised upward in a southerly direction in an apparent effort to store the energy from this wild weather related event. Interestingly, the local whitescape created by days of lingering snow, seem to exacerbate the illumination factor of SUNLIGHT.  Forecasters were quick to note that the weather phenomenon was not likely to last for than a few hours. Unfortunately, the local mayor was too busy soaking up SUNLIGHT to declare a REGIONAL HOLIDAY releasing workers to enjoy the event.

Over the past few days, I’ve bounced back and forth between going ahead and mounting my new rear tire vs. keeping my old worn out tire on the rim for use on my trainer. My ambivalence has been such that I’ve spent too much time pondering the situation and not enough time making a decision. This “downtime” has been extended further by going to see the movie “Crazy Heart” and watching that football game that was on last night. Both events served to improve my spirits somewhat. After all, in both events I was in a closed, dark environment safely removed from being able to see the cold, gray light of yet another overcast day. I almost forgot about not riding recently. But, like the groundhog, I had to emerge only to discover yet more cold gray overcast skies but this time they were accompanied by a consistent and steady cold wind that was very skilled at changing direction at every corner in order to always be able to blow into my face. 

In a short brief burst of self-exploration today, I determined I would research whether I suffered from S.A.D. (Seasonal Affective Disorder). According to the DSM-IV-TR and that other paragon of authority, Wikipedia, I’m pleased to report that I do not suffer from S.A.D. It turns out that S.A.D. isn’t a standalone condition. It is only a subset of a much more major mood disorder and, thankfully, I don’t qualify for that.

So, I’m left to ponder the cosmos again and perhaps find the motivation to mount my tire so I can get back on the road once the heaping gray mounds of frozen precipitation once again recede to showcase our roads. I hear that SUNLIGHT may once again make an appearance along about Thursday of this week. By the way, I haven’t seen my shadow in a week now. I wonder what that portends…

In some actual cycling news…

BikingInLA reports of a cyclist hit by an alleged drunken  driver and dragged three quarters of a mile. A good Samaritan helped corral the offending driver, who appeared more upset at being filmed during her arrest than concerned about her alleged victim. Hmmm, maybe she was intoxicated. You can see the 3 videos HERE! Thanks to Tucson Bike Lawyer for the story!

Have you checked out the amazing power work being done over at Cycling Experiences as Jim Artis prepares for his upcoming summer tour on his quad Fargo? If not, take a few moments and review Jim’s use of a Stanley Fat Max toolbox. It is amazing what he has managed to work into this space. His work involving charging systems is very impressive.

I want to recommend to you a most illuminating essay written by Kent Peterson at Kent’s Bike Blog. Kent crafts words into pictures in a way that few writers pull off. I was particularly taken with his February 4th posting “Past the Gate”

Well, I’m going to go research this SUNLIGHT thing again. If I find it occurring again, I’ll let you know…

Until later,

- Zeke

4 comments:

Jim Artis said...

The sun--nice find. It is amazing what it can do and it is even a component in the generation of electricity. Thanks for the note & link. --jim

Unknown said...

...to add insult to injury, it wasn't 30 minutes after my posting that heavy, flat clouds had rolled in over the Balsams and it looked as if we might be covered in a major snowfall at any moment... :)

Zeke

Jim Artis said...

...at least you weren't blinded anymore. --jim

Unknown said...

True but I was still "revved up like a deuce,
another biker in the night."

With apologies to the Boss and Manfred Mann... :)

Zeke