Friday, December 18, 2009

LET THE SNOWFALL BEGIN

Somewhat earlier than predicted, the snow has started falling in Western North Carolina on this 27th Wedding Anniversary and 27th Date of Great Speechlessness as its known in the Gr8SmokiesZeke lair. When I checked at 4:30 a.m. this morning, there was just a light dusting of snow, which wasn’t predicted to get here until after noon. Now at 7:30 a.m., the snowfall has intensified and is beginning to accumulate. At 7:49 a.m., we have:

  • Temperature of 30.3 degrees
  • Dew Point of 28.3 degrees
  • Barometric Pressure of 30.67 and it is beginning to fall now indicating the storm center is moving our way.

Here are some beginning pictures to get us started on the day…

SnoFall_121809_01

 

SnoFall_121809_03

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

SnoFall_121809_04

 

SnoFall_121809_05

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

It's time for that first cup of good coffee and to enjoy the snowfall. We’ll see how close to the total accumulation amounts the forecasters get. Late last night, they were calling for 3” to 6” in Waynesville. I just heard from the “Nickster” and he is reporting that Ray’s Weather Service is calling for upwards of 8” to a foot of snow now.

9:49 a.m. entry…

The snow continued until the last few minutes and we now have sleet mixing in with lighter snow. Our accumulation rate was about an inch per hour at one point although it has dropped off as I write now. After my fourth cup of “joe” , I note I’m typing faster… Here’s a couple of updated images.

SnoFall_121809_06

 

SnoFall_121809_07

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Current temperature of 30.6 degrees

Current dew point of 39.3 degrees

Current barometric pressure of 29.99 and still falling

 

12:10 update…

A new band of moisture has moved into the area and the snowfall accumulation has increased to 4.5” at our house now. We appear to be in a long cylindrical band of moisture moving north from upstate S.C. with the heaviest moisture being in the Knoxville, TN area to our west-northwest. Latest images follow:

SnoFall_121809_08

 

SnoFall_121809_09

SnoFall_121809_10 

 

 

 

 

 

 

  • Current Temperature: 31.5 degrees
  • Current Dew Point: 30.5 degrees
  • Barometric Pressure: 39.86 and still falling…

For a nice video about Winter Cycling (stay with a theme here), visit Cycling Expreriences for today’s post.

16:53 hours update…

Power lost at 15:00 hours. Now running on generator power. Currently at 11” and counting. We made one run down the mountain to get gas for the generator. Had only 1 tree down over road that had to be cut up. Computer with weather station is down and won’t boot up again… Grrrr!

19:30 hours update…

Power has been restored and we are back on-line now. We now appear to be on the outer edge of the final moisture band for the day. Drier weather should be making its way into the area over the next couple of hours. We are at 13” inches with light snow falling. I just heard yet another tree snapping and breaking as I was checking the accumulation. Here are the final two pics of the day.

SnoFall_121809_11

SnoFall_121809_12

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Thanks to all who followed the storm news today! We are predicted to get more snow tomorrow from the wrap-around moisture as the low moves off to the northeast although no particular further accumulation is expected. I have an idea the road bike will stay safe and sound tomorrow!

Until later,

- Zeke

12 comments:

Jim Artis said...

Your snow watch will be fun. Very picturesque [the view from your deck--with snow falling]. Thanks for the pictures. --jim

Unknown said...

My pleasure. We may currently be in between bands of moisture. I just checked the image of downtown Waynesville (upper right hand corner of blog)and it looks like folks are still finding their way to town. Reports are of lots of wrecks with I-40 east and west bound getting lane closures. I'm personally enjoying drinking coffee, staying warm, and watching the snow fall along with the birds eating at our feeders. I don't think I'll get the road bike out today or tomorrow for that matter. :) I wish I had a mountain bike right now. I'll bet that would be fun!

- Zeke

Jim Artis said...

I'm watching...

It just began to drizzle here. I'm not likely to ride today either. But, that's been my norm this year. Nest year will be different. --jim

Tracy W said...

Well, I'm sure glad it's you getting that white stuff instead of us. I really don't mind it if I can stay home and watch it accumulate from the sunroom, but if I've got to get out and go to work, I detest the stuff!

I much prefer riding the two wheeler to work rather than the 4-wheeler in 4-wheel-drive!

Unknown said...

We just reached the 3" mark on our deck and it is once again snowing hard. The birds are doing some serious eating! We have flocks of juncos, tit mice, sparrows, and doves eating all around the house. We've also had pairs of Cardinals and Blue Jays eating this morning. I'm glad I filled the feeders up last night.

I just spoke to our Chief of Police and he told me that they are working 27 wrecks in the city limits as of now. The main thoroughfare (Russ Ave) is closed as is the bypass around town. It is mostly due to people with 2 wheel drive vehicles and not enough sense to stay home. There was a layer of ice under the snow so it was pretty much a skating rink!

At the moment, the local radar is showing that the heaviest mositure bands are to our northwest moving through Knoxville. We seem to be in a lighter band of moisture moving in from upstate S.C.

- Zeke

- Zeke

Unknown said...

Hi Tracy,

Yep, I'm pretty happy being inside at the moment for reasons listed in my post to Jim. We're well provisioned even if we lose power and I'd rather NOT be on the road on or in any vehicle with all the 2wheel drive folks sliding around.

David said...

I'm heading out to lunch pretty soon. My only decision is whether it's too hot to sit outside to eat or not. ;-)

Seriously, it looks like you are getting one of those wet, beautiful snow events. Enjoy!

Unknown said...

Well, I hope you don't build up a sweat while you're thinking about it. I wouldn't ride my bike if I were you. From reading BikinLA, it sounds like it is open season in L.A. on cyclists!

It is a wet, heavy snow. We're closing on 7" as I type. The birds are having a field day. Zeke hasn't budged out of his bed yet. I may return to mine for a nap! (Think about THAT while you suffer in your sunny lunchtime heat!)

- Zeke

Jim Artis said...

Lookin' even more beautiful. We are at 36-degrees, with rain. Thanks for the link. I like that vid & the music is nice. I hope you have enough fuel for your generator. Stay warm. --jim

Unknown said...

Yes, I enjoyed the video also and thought it was a nice complement to my posting today. We have 5 gallons of fuel and with the power already back on, we'll do fine. I anticipate some further loss of power as trees snap off and take down power lines.

It won't have to drop much for you to see some icing or snow if it is already down to 36 at your place. Good luck!

Zeke

Lizbeth said...

Lizbeth says:

"That's a lot of snow Uncle Cesspool".

Unknown said...

Yes, dear Lizzie, that is going to be one of the top 5 or so snowfalls for total accumulation going back to 1900. It may set some records for one day snowfalls. We'll have to see what the National Weather Service has to say.

-Uncle Zeke