Wednesday, December 22, 2010

I Get Stumped...

I appreciate Kent's coverage of this important topic! It helps me think about keeping my bike safe but, I must admit that I get stumped when it comes to comprehending how you carry around that heavy U-Lock and an extra cable lock. I don't have a rack/panniers and I don't use a backpack when on my road bike. So, how the heck do you carry all of that around?

in reference to:

"A U-lock plus a cable provide pretty good security"
- Kent's Bike Blog (view on Google Sidewiki)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Even though Bryson City is not a Bedlam of bike thievery, my wife and I usually sabotage our bikes when we go into a restaurant or store. We buckle our helmet straps through spokes, click the shifters into opposite chain rings and cogs, loosen seat posts. I pity the fool who hops on my bike to ride off.

We try to park the bike where we can keep an eye on them. While touring, I have a cheap Wal-Mart cable that will not stop a thief, but would slow him down a bit. I guess we have been very fortunate.

Jack

Unknown said...

I haven't been touring and when I've been out and about on longer rides, my bike has always been in my view. I guess though it really does only take a few seconds to be gone. I recall people's full sized Harley's being stolen in 15 - 20 seconds by professionals in Daytona Beach... I'll bet they could shorten that time for a bicycle!

- Zeke