Saturday, February 14, 2009

DRAT! THE CURSE OF FRIDAY THE 13TH!

The day started like any other Friday. Typically, my "non work" day of the week although I always end up working 2 or 3 hours doing end of the week stuff, I managed to grab an extra hour of sleep and woke to a pretty day. I brewed my coffee, heated my breakfast, and sat down to do a little reading on my favorite cycling blogs. After a couple of good cups of coffee and some fine reading and corresopondence catch up, I headed to my Rotary meeting and followed that with my monthly massage. The day was going swimmingly!

My "better half" and I were joining my sister-in-law and the "Wood-Man", my riding partner and friend, in Pigeon Forge, Tn for the weekend. We had a nice cabin on the side of the mountain with all of the amenities. We plugged the address into our Garmin Nuvi 260 and headed out. Little did I know that the curse of Friday the 13th was hiding just on the other end of the gorge. After our GPS unit took us on a very circuitous route to the cabin, we arrived on the western end of the neon horror show known as Pigeon Forge, TN. This shopping mecca was ablaze with all of the latest blinding computerized billboards that could possibly be packed along the sides of the road. Arriving near 6:30 p.m., we spent the next 30 minutes stalled in 6 lanes of traffic trying to negotiate the final 4 miles of highway before our turn-off to the cabin and an expected slice of Smoky Mountain tranquility.

Shortly after arriving at the cabin, the "Wood-Man" and I stepped outside to start the charcoal for supper. I stepped off of the deck into a pile of leaves covering the paver laden walkway below. Rather abruptly, I discovered that the leaf covered pavers didn't extend the full length of the steps. As I contemplated this fact from my now prone position beside the grill, I realized that the popping sound I had heard was my right ankle rolling off of the shortened pavers. Having been through many sprained ankles in the past, I was acutely aware of the swelling that was already beginning in the back of my ankle. The curse 1 - Zeke 0...

Now having the opportunity to reconsider my plans as I used the time tested ankle sprain reducing method of ice on - ice off, I settled in and enjoyed the remainder of the evening and nursed my excitement for the start of the Tour of California. We turned in and hoped for a good night of sound sleep, which more or less we accomplished. Heavy rains moved into the area after midnight but these were mostly just enjoyable on the tin roof of the cabin.

Arising this morning, the 14th, I quietly celebrated the end of another Friday the 13th. Little did I know that events of the previous evening were about to intervene in my ankle icing schedule for the day. Shortly after morning coffee, our cell phone rang. Our pet sitter was calling with the urgent news that our Labs (Zeke and Orla) had managed to get into their medication overnight and had eaten all of it! Worry over their condition resulted in phone calls back home to our Veterinarian, who advised that the dogs should be brought in immediately as the medication, in even small amounts, could lead to liver and kidney failure. To make a long and expensive story short, we had to get our close friend back in town to go get the dogs and take them to the Vet where they were started on activated charcoal, fluids, and had catheters inserted. The dogs are likely to spend the next 4 days under observation to be certain that they don't have some fatal response to their late night cavorting with their medications.

So, I end this entry knowing that my good buddies are safely in the care of the vet, my ankle is responding to 20 minutes on and 20 minutes off, and by golly Lance made a fine showing in the Prologue of the TOC today. The world is back in balance and Friday the 13th is over for...another month!

Until later,

-- Zeke

5 comments:

Jim Artis said...

Sorry for all of your travails. What a shame that we have another on if just under a month. I hope your dogs are showing positive signs and that your ankle is recovering. DANG!

The best...

James

Unknown said...

Thanks for the kind thoughts. We had a phone call from the Vet this morning and she let us know that our female Lab (Orla) appeared to be doing fine. Zeke, the male, was pretty lethargic and had been sick twice last night. She said she found plastic and tape that he had purged from his system but no pills. That probably means the pills have been absorbed into his system. They will do more blood work tomorrow to check against his baseline. Time will tell.

The ankle is coming along just fine and shouldn't hold up too much activity. We're back home now so I'll probably do some more icing today to try and get rid of the remaining swelling. Looks like we're headed to a return of winter weather tonight. Chance of snow showers late tonight and then each day for the next couple of days. I may have to do some spinning indoors over the next day or so.

Until later,

-- Zeke

Jim Artis said...

Thanks for the updates. Take care...

Jim

Anonymous said...

Just found your blog through Kents and couldn't resist a question. Givin the beautiful place you live, why in the world would you go to a zoo like Pigeon Forge? Is it the alure of Dollywood?

Unknown said...

Good question! Actually, the cabin we were staying in was well outside of Pigeon Forge and we only had to experience P.F. as we passed through. We had a nice cabin in some quiet woods with a hot tub, good friends, good food, good libation... Other than our dogs nearly committing a fatal O.D. on their medicine, the weekend was quite nice! :)