Sunday, March 15, 2009

Much Needed Rain Keeps The Wheels From Spinning

This weekend's much needed rain has kept me inside for the most part dealing with some of the more dreary parts of life, i.e., printing out tax information, submitting the final medical claims for 2008, etc. We've had steady drizzle pretty much throughout the last 30 hours. The good news is that we've gained almost .90" of rain since yesterday, which will help alleviate our ongoing drought conditions. It also made for a good time to get out and spread some lime and fertilizer today. Of course, that will only lead to wheels on the garden tractor spinning rather than wheels on the bike spinning...

I've not wasted my time though. The taxes are mostly behind me now, as is the medical claims forms, so it is just a matter of waiting to see how much "pain" there will be with the IRS this year. In lieu of riding today, I've spent time perusing George Hincapie's site and checking out his cycling apparel. I'm getting ready for next week's vacation in the Low Country of S.C. and anticipating warmer temps for some extended riding in between my favorite meals. My "better half" did her shopping for the beach trip yesterday. I imagine I'll do with the same bathing suit that has served me quite well for the past 5 years but I did decide that perhaps a new set of bibbed cycling shorts might be in order. Next week's return to the Low Country is my "almost one year" anniversary of getting off the couch and getting back on 2 wheels. It was on last year's beach trip of the Magic Circle that I reached my point of "being sick and tired of being sick and tired." ( Details HERE .) This year, I'm 22 lbs. lighter and my heart doesn't want to gallop away with the slightest exertion.

I'm planning on some longer rides in the flat lands next week. I'm looking forward to exploring Folly and John's Island in more detail than what we normally get while in the automobile. Folly is much shorter than I was recalling but it should still make for some good riding. Today, I've also had a little bit of time to do some blog exploring and found Dave Moulton's Bike Blog located in Charleston, SC. It seems Dave is a former frame builder and racer now turned author and writer of lyrics. Check it out! He has a great image of a bike he built for the National Enquirer many years ago on today's listing. I also enjoyed Ralph's Ozark Bike Blog.

We have 2 or 3 more days of this wet, clammy weather predicted but that's o.k. I'll spend the time looking forward to the arrival of those snappy new cycling shorts and dreaming of my favorite Low Country meal - Shrimp 'n Grits! (Doesn't take much to entertain me apparently...)

Until Later,

-- Zeke

2 comments:

David said...

There are some good local rides listed on this website:

http://www.coastalcyclists.org/

Unknown said...

Many thanks for the information. I'll check them out!

-- Zeke