Sunday, December 12, 2010

MOTHER NATURE SENDS WINTER BACK TO WNC!

In an altogether predictable set of weather circumstances, Mother Nature has seen fit to revisit Western North Carolina with another round of snow and single digit temperatures this weekend. It all started over night with the barometric pressure dropping steadily and the temperatures falling throughout the day…

As the Navigator and I head for bed on this cold Sunday evening, we’re enjoying 16 degree temperatures with lightly falling snow. For this area, it is almost too cold to snow, which probably sounds quite weird to anyone living in the Midwest or Rockies. Our prime snowing temperatures in the Great Smokies seems to be between 26 degrees and 35 degrees. Those temps really bring out the fat, wet snow flakes while flurries and snow below 20 degrees tends to be smaller and lighter stuff that mostly just blows around.

Here is a quick snap shot of today’s weather trends as recorded on my weather station at home:

image

 

Must have been a good reading day…

It must have been a good day to stay in and read today rather than get out and ride.  The stats on my blog show that today was the best reading day of the week with 64 page views having occurred thus far today. While that is a small number for larger more well established blogs, it is a nice day’s “work” for Zeke’s Great Smokies 2 Wheeled Adventures!…  Your visits are always appreciated!

image

(Most recent visitor was from Singapore)

Another work day will soon be calling upon us so it is time to tuck the dogs in and curl up with the Navigator for a cold night’s slumber. I imagine our “feet warmers” otherwise known as Herbert and Rosie the cats won’t be far behind us…

Until later,

- Zeke

8 comments:

Jim Artis said...

Enjoy and send some east. WRAL Raleigh says: "Forecasts call for heavy snow for western N.C." I guess you'll have a white Christmas. I wish...

Unknown said...

Good morning! I've been staying at home on Mondays and working from there to save gas/food expenses but I felt better about driving Kathy to work this morning so I came on into town and my office. We didn't get much in the way of accumulation in the Bethel area. The roads were actually dry and clear until we got to town. The roads had a frozen layer of ice but no snow accumulation to speak of. One of Kathy's co-workers reported getting 6" in the adjoining county. Nick hasn't check in yet so I'm not sure what the scene is at his house in the northern end of the county. His last report yesterday was that it was getting white quickly. I'm the only one that has come into the office thus far so I'm not sure what others have experienced.
These cold temps are getting old and it is only December... :)I remember that we had to hike up the mountain through the meadow to my sister's house on Christmas Day last year. Looks like we may be headed for a repeat! :)

I hope you and Alma are warm and dry!

Merry Christmas,

Zeke

Jim Artis said...

I think I understand your getting weather experiences old. We had drizzle yesterday. There is no snow in the forecast, although Thursday has potential for a wintry mix in parts of the Piedmont. I'll have to see what that brings. Alma and I are relatively warm. She is in Dunn [Harnett County] for a few days. I'm holding down the fort. Do not work too long today. I hope Nick is well. --jim

Unknown said...

Our day got a little shorter when the Salvation Army decided to cancel bell ringing activities due to the cold weather and wind chills. We were going to ring at Wal-Mart after work and it would have been quite miserable to be outside standing on that cold concrete for an hour.

With Alma gone, I guess you'll have to rely on the heat of that 21" monitor in portrait mode to send you some warmth... :)

I'll pass along your best wishes to Nick!

- Zeke

Jim Artis said...

Yes I will. That and preheating the bed with the electric blanket--never sleep under it with power on. BTW, i have 7 additional inches with my big monitor. It's a 28"er--make seeing a full web page a possibility. Stay warm. --jim

Unknown said...

I know the warmth of the electric blanket. We finally put ours back on the bed last week. Whew! 28" monitor... I'll bet you can see some serious data, etc. in one glance!

- Zeke

Anonymous said...

My driveway is now a ski slope (double black diamond). I've been leaving my car at the bottom and hiking out. I'm hoping this will keep me in shape for riding.

Jack

Unknown said...

I'll bet that tonight's predicted freezing rain and sleet won't improve the situation any! Maybe you can make a luge run out of it!

- Zeke