Friday, December 10, 2010

A PRETTY START TO THE DAY…

Sometimes, I’m just lucky enough to be in the right place at the right time to see or experience something wonderful. As I was greeting our Labrador Retrievers Zeke and Orla this morning, I was lucky enough to glance up just in time to catch a beautiful sunrise over Mt. Pisgah and Cold Mountain…

Sunrise on Mt Pisgah

(Mt. Pisgah just as the sun makes it appearance for the day…)

Most times, the lighting changes so quickly that the image doesn’t last. Fortunately, this morning my camera was nearby and the light stayed “just right” for a few moments.

Cold Mountain in the Sunrise

(Cold Mountain emerges under a blanket of red clouds)

The clouds herald the arrival of our next weather system. Today is forecast to be our best day of the weekend with partly cloudy skies and temperatures getting to the mid-40’s. Yesterday’s, 41 degrees felt balmy in comparison to the below freezing temperatures Western North Carolina has experienced for the last week. Tomorrow we are supposed to return to snowy conditions followed by another week of sub-freezing temps. I find it to be incredibly amotivational for riding…

Pleased to post…

Between various job duties and the nasty weather, this past week didn’t see me outside on my Fuji CCR3. If the cold weather wasn’t enough to minimize my riding desire, the thoughts of trying to clean all the road salt off of my bike was certainly enough to dampen my enthusiasm for getting out and about. The highlight of my week was getting to “guest post” on BikinginLA. My post appeared on December 8th.  The opportunity brought back many good memories of biking in my youth and again helped me understand some of the reasons I so enjoy being out on two wheels under self power… well, really on any kind of two wheeled vehicle.

Early Christmas present…

Our local advocacy group, BicycleHaywoodNC, was ecstatic to be informed that we have been granted an $8,000.00 funding grant to help us match a federal grant to develop a bike plan in our home county! We’ve worked hard over the past couple of years to raise awareness of cycling and cycling needs. We hope to hear by December 16th that we have been awarded the full $40,000.00 grant so that we can begin in earnest putting in motion the wheels to get a bike plan developed. The announcement, along with receipt of individual donor funds has certainly been gratifying and joyful for our membership!

Now, it is off to “ring the bell” for the Salvation Army before heading to my company’s annual Christmas Celebration.

Season’s Greeting to each of you!

Until later,

- Zeke

2 comments:

Jim Artis said...

Luv the shot.

Unknown said...

Thank you! I was in the right place at the right time with a camera nearby that morning!

- Zeke