Monday, June 14, 2010

FLAG DAY ACTION ABOUNDS IN CYCLING!

 

Links to the races/tours that I’m following:

 

 

TOD: Ride for the Republic:

TOD: Ride for the Republic

As I write, Rafael Giraldo and Jim Artis are closing in on Ellsworth Maine after having departed Cadillac Mountain at sunrise this morning. Their route out of Bar Harbor took them along Eagle Lake Road and across Thompson Island. At 1:20 p.m., they were located at GPS coordinates 44.48757, -68.36987. Check in with Jim at Cycling Experiences this evening when we can anticipate his initial report on the road worthiness of Fargo.

RAAM:

Team Bent Up Cycles remains in 3rd place in the 4 man team category. They have travelled 858 miles at an average of 19.52 mph. The team tweats indicate that all is well and team members are maintaining positive attitudes. In the solo female, under 50 category, Barbara Buatois maintains her lead with a 111 mile lead over her nearest competitor. Jure Robic also maintains his lead in the solo male, under 50 category although only 64 miles separate him from his nearest competitor. He is averaging 14.45 mph and Buatois is averaging 11.3 mph. Check out the RAAM Leader Board to see current standings of all of the categories!

The Tour Divide:

Mountain Turtle Logo

Kent “Mountain Turtle” Peterson continues his trek along the Rockies. He is currently riding through the Flathead National Forest and was located at GPS coordinates 48.73535 , -114.57599 at 1:19 p.m. EDT. Check out “Mountain Turtle’s” SPOT tracks to see the circuitous route he is riding through the Rockies. Hint: It isn’t straight! You can hear the riders’ own reports on MTBCast.com as they call in to report how things are going from their perspective. Their reports include everything from sleeping in outhouses to avoid bears to dugouts at local ball fields. In day 2, there has also been quite a bit of “snow hiking” as the upper passes are snow covered.

Tour of Switzerland:

Congratulations to HTC-Columbia rider Tony Martin as he grabbed the overall lead from Fabian Cancellera in the Tour de Swisse. Frank Schleck grabbed the stage 3 win. Martin finished 10th in the stage but Cancellera was gapped at the end giving Martin a 1 second lead. Lance Armstrong finished in a group of riders 4 seconds back.

More reports later!

- Zeke

4 comments:

Michele said...

Hi Zeke,
Have you heard anything from Jim regarding how the ride is going? Hope to see something tonight at your blog or his. Did you manage to get your bike back from the LBS? I haven't been on mine in a week due to work. Am missing it terribly. Maybe tomorrow. Take care and thanks for the updates.

Unknown said...

Hey Michele,

I have not heard from him today. I've been following him on his SPOT adventure page. I called him mid-morning to test out his phone connectivity while riding. Unfortunately, the call went to voice mail. I've sent him a couple of emails along the way as well. I imagine that when he stops riding, he'll post something on his blog and I'll follow up with that as well.

I did get my bike back and all was well with the back. The problem turned out to be my cleats. I replaced them yesterday and just got in from my commute home from work a few moments ago. I'm pleased to report the grinding sound is gone! I'm glad it wasn't my bike or my knee!

Enjoy your ride when you do get out! If you know of anyone looking for a good crankforward bike, send them my way. My brother David is trying to sell his. It has few miles on it!

Later,

Zeke

Michele said...

Hello Zeke,

I'm glad you got your bike back and there were no grinding bones involved. :)

Would love to try a crankforward, but haven't been on an upright in years. Have you ever tried one? If I hear of anyone looking I'll send them your way.

Take care...Michele

Unknown said...

Hi,

No, my experiences are pretty much limited to my road bike and a hybrid I had briefly. I've never had a chance to ride a crankforward, recumbent, or (obviously) Fargo! I hope to remedy all of those sometime in the near future.

BTW, Jim just put up a post! He had an interesting first day...

Zeke