Wednesday, November 23, 2011

BEST WISHES TO YOU FOR A GREAT THANKSGIVING!

 

Thanksgiving Banner

 

This is the week where we pause to consider those things in our lives for which we are thankful. In recent years, it would be easy to overlook some of the positives in our community and in our homes given the nature of the economy fed by ever increasing petroleum prices, corporate greed, grid-locked Congress, and things that we’ve all heard about ad nausem. So, it is particularly important to shine the light of thankfulness on some of those positives from the past year…

In the world of cycling, I’m thankful for the opportunity to pen this post and write my cycling column for our local newspaper on a bi-weekly basis. I always want to remember that there are countries in this world that wouldn’t allow this form of open communication. I never want to forget those who fight for my right to do so.

I’m thankful for the overwhelming positive response that we (BicycleHaywoodNC members) received from municipalities, businesses, and community organizations as we went about developing the first ever blue print for cycling infrastructure in Haywood County. I’m thankful that this blueprint was adopted and will become a central part of a regional bicycle plan in the near future.

I’m thankful for the 97% of motorists, who passed me on our mountain roads and, rather than throwing a beer bottle or other missile at my head, chose to throw up a hand in greeting and gave me plenty of space as they passed me on their way home, to work, or other destinies. I hope I reciprocated with similar courtesy.

I’m thankful that an impending meeting between Town of Clyde officials and Haywood Community College officials, along with BicycleHaywoodNC members, may well lead to some fitness and alternative transportation opportunities for staff and students at HCC as early as next spring.

I’m thankful for the contributions that former BicycleHaywoodNC member and Bethel resident George Ivey made to our community during his residence in Haywood. George’s leadership will be missed on many levels. When you buy local, think of George as he was instrumental in getting the Buy Haywood program up and running. When you enjoy the Great Smoky Mountains, think of George as his leadership in Friends of the Smokies helped bring much needed funding to our National Park. Duke University’s gain in getting George as a Senior Grant Writer is most definitely Haywood’s loss.

I’m thankful that our Haywood County Chamber of Commerce has grasped the potential of inviting cyclists to our community via the Blue Ridge Breakaway. Year three should bring 600 registered souls on two wheels to our beautiful community.

Finally, I’m most thankful for the support of my wife, Kathy aka the Navigator, who graciously supports my time and energy in the cycling world. Without her, the rest wouldn’t mean as much to me…

Please stop for a moment and consider the positives that surround us! Be sure to take a moment and express your thanks to those around you who support you and enrich your lives!

Happy Thanksgiving to All!

- Zeke

2 comments:

jaw crusher said...

i am happy on thanksgiving day

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the shout-out to George. :o)