Thursday, March 26, 2009

Folly Island Retreat Winding Down

We're beginning to see the end of the light at the tunnel as our week long retreat to Folly Island is on the downward run now. Today's cycling related matters include another enjoyable run around Folly as I opted to stay on the island today with a goal of getting 15 miles in before the forecasted bad weather arrived. I also had a first in my increasing database of cycling related adventures - my first flat tire since I was a kid.

Yep, I had a very enjoyable 14.86 miles on a planned 15 mile ride. The good news was that my rear tire went flat within 2 blocks of our beach house. When I couldn't pump enough air into the tire to finish the ride, I was fortunately close enough to simply walk the rest of the way. I haven't fixed a flat tire on ANY kind of vehicle in years so this may be an opporunity for a relearning experience.

Riding the island has been an interesting contrast between riding at home in the mountains of Western Norh Carolina. I've been quite impressed by the resistance created by headwinds and the action the wind creates on the handling of the bike. I'm quite used to headwinds and crosswinds on the Harley but this is a different animal for sure. My learning experience has elated to developing an understanding of how the much lighter Fuji can jump sideways! Riding consistently at sea level has also provided me with exended opportunities to practice spinning rather than mashing. I've noticed an increase in my average cadence when I spin more.

I've been searching for a set of earbuds that would stay in my ear while riding after building up a sweat. I've tried some different options including jabra ear gels, which turned out to be a major disappointment. I finally found a product at Best Buy last night called Earglove Sport Stereo by Body Glove Accessories. Today was my first ride using them and I'm pleased to report that not only did they stay put in my ear, they also provided excellent sound. My previous earbuds would pop out as soon as I worked up any sweat but this product has earloops, which kept the earbuds firmly in my ear even when riding into 15 mph headwinds. Thus far, I'm very pleased with their performance. They have a 2.5 mm plug, which is what I needed for my Audiovox XV6700 unit. The cost was a reasonable $36.00. I was contemplating upgrading my phone so this is much more cost effective. (My better half will be proud of me!)

A couple of clean-up items from yesterday: We had an excellent lunch at Hyman's on Meeting Street. Hyman's is well known for the quality and freshness of their seafood. Our server, Daniel Shahid, turns out to be the drummer for Plainfield Project, the Charleston area's Reader Pick as best band in 2008 and 2009. Their music is described by Daniel as rock/reggae/funk. Check out Plainfield Project! You will be pleased!

Now, it is time to remove fingers from keyboard and follow my nose to the already wafting smells coming from Chef Richard's nightly effort. The next post will probably be after I return to home sweet home this weekend.

Until later,

-- Zeke

No comments: