Monday, June 7, 2010

SUNDAY RIDE AND ADVENTURER UPDATES!

Sunday’s on-again, off-again rain showers/storms left me guessing when I would be able to get in a quick ride. Around 11:30 a.m., it looked like we would get flooded but nothing ever actually fell from the sky. At 3:00 p.m., the skies were full of white fluffy clouds and lots of sunshine so I decided it was “now or never.”

We were to be in Asheville, NC for a meal at 4:30 p.m. and had a couple of quick errands to take care of before that time so riding time was limited. The Navigator readily agreed to picking me up at my father-in-law’s home which is 12 miles away and on the way to Asheville from our house. After packing some suitable dining clothes in my Timbuktu Messenger bag, I headed out and down US 276 to NC 215 and the on into Canton before hitting North Main with its short climb to Newfound Road. After crossing over I-40, I made the short run out to the house for pick-up.

The Navigator had queried me as to how much time she needed to allot before picking me up. I had remarked, without much thought, 40 minutes. I pulled into the driveway at 40 minutes and 30 seconds. She was 2 minutes behind me. I’d say our timing was in synch on this pretty Sunday.

The ride itself was uneventful. I was more surprised by the lack of traffic than anything else. The Canton Recreation area was busy with kids’ ball games and families visiting. Downtown Canton didn’t have much going on at all but this is normal for a Sunday in this mill town. 

  Mountain Turtle Logo

The “Mountain Turtle” continues his northward trek…

Kent “Mountain Turtle” Peterson is still moving steadily toward Banff, AB for the start of the Great Divide Race. His very supportive spouse posted updates on the first couple of days of his prologue at KentsbikeBlog. The previous post to Christine’s entry covers the roll-out from Issaquah. Kent crossed through Idaho and into Montana last night before apparently bedding down in Fireman’s Park in Libby, Montana. He is up and on the move again headed toward Eureka, Montana. he is currently riding through Kootenai National Forest.

 

Fargo! Fargo is scheduled for graphics today!

Fargo, the HPV of Jim Artis, is headed to the Graphic Artist’s shop today for application of pin striping and logos. Time is running short as Jim and Fargo are scheduled to head toward Bar Harbor, ME for the start of the Tour of Discovery: Ride for the Republic on June 14th. Jim has been busy over the weekend building the cockpit and attaching light bars and electronics. There is still wiring to be done and final testing before the departure date. Check in with Jim at Cycling Experiences to see some awesome images of his work thus far. 

 

Until later,

- Zeke

5 comments:

Jim Artis said...

The Fargo Graphics turned out quite well. I'll post pictures later today. I delayed my departure another day--now Saturday, 06/12. Thanks for your continued coverage. --jim

Unknown said...

Yes, I thought they looked excellent. You're going to be just about driving straight through now to get to the start on time on the 14th. Long days ahead...

Zeke

Jim Artis said...

Yep, at least 515 miles per day. I'll likely do the majority on Saturday and have a lighter day Sunday. I'm okay with that. Our concern is Alma's return drive to Fayetteville. Setup continues...

Thanks!

Jim

Unknown said...

I can imagine that neither of you want her making those kinds of driving distances alone. I wouldn't care to do it myself. I wish I could help but I don't know a way to do it...

Zeke

Jim Artis said...

Thanks for the offer. I wish there were a way. I have not thought of it yet. Still thinking... [If I could find a driver to dire up with me???]